Re: [css-flexbox] Intrinsic Cross Size Definition Totally Wrong

On Thu, Dec 3, 2015 at 7:55 PM, fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net> wrote:
> On 12/03/2015 04:43 PM, fantasai wrote:
>>

>> Side note: current browsers also set the *flex container’s* inner
>> size to that largest value, which is clearly wrong, as it is
>> guaranteed to cause overflow if there are multiple lines. We would
>> need to require the cross-size to be the sum of the line’s cross
>> sizes after doing item layout and linebreaking as outlined above.
>

> Note: IE does the correct behavior, wrapping the flex container
> around all of the columns. Edge preserves this behavior for
> max-content.
>
> It would be nice if implementations can align on intrinsic sizes
> of flex containers not causing their content to overflow. :) :) :)

Right, I somehow didn't think about this correctly, totally missing
the fact that the correct behavior requires doing layout in order to
compute the preferred width.

On behalf of Blink, I want to object to requiring any behavior that
requires layout in order to calculate the preferred width of a
container. So, I guess there's no good solution here :(

-Christian