Re: [css-grid] Interactions between min/max-content and min/max-width

On 09/30/2015 02:27 PM, Sergio Villar Senin wrote:
> Sorry for the long emails :)
>
> On 29/09/15 17:23, fantasai wrote:
>>
>> I think it would make more sense in this case for the available space
>> to be 20px, not infinite, so I would say that the grid itself is also
>> 20px tall.
>
> The problem is that there are so many potential combinations of min|max
> functions, grid container's measurements and restrictions that it's
> quite difficult to know as an implementor (and I guess as an author) how
> the grid should behave.
>
>> That said, we should probably clarify this in the spec, and also
>> specify explicitly how percentages behave one way or another--since
>> the rules for height and width do not apply to grid-template-rows/cols
>> unless we says so, and it should be stated whether the rules are the
>> same or different than width/height so there is no confusion.
>
> Well I am not specially concerned about percentages (I was just using
> them for the sake of my argumentation). The critical thing from my
> understanding, is to perfectly specify what is the available size and
> how to compute it, because as you know, the algorithm has 2 very
> different paths for definite and indefinite sizes. There are many
> different examples where I am not sure what to do, like

> - <div style="display:grid; max-height: 60px;"></div>
>
> Strictly following the definition all those grids have indefinite
> heights, but as you said it looks like "common sense" dictates that they
> should behave differently sometimes.

In the first two cases, the height on the outer div has no
effect on the grid's layout. (If you added a percentage
height on the grid, then it would affect the first case.)

In the third case, the max-height should limit the growth
of the grid tracks in the grid.

> As this is the last design WD, I think everything about available and
> free spaces is so critical to the algorithm that we must state very
> clearly how they should behave and also the interactions with
> min|max-content restrictions and min|max-height|width because there are
> a lot of potential combinations that are not totally clear to me.

We made some clarifications to the grid spec on this issue:
   https://hg.csswg.org/drafts/diff/dc4077bff17a/css-grid/Overview.bs

Let us know if there are any remaining issues or concerns!

~fantasai