Re: [css-flexbox] available space and max-height

On Tue, Dec 1, 2015 at 7:58 PM, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 1, 2015 at 4:49 PM, Christian Biesinger
> <cbiesinger@google.com> wrote:

>>> This is handled in step 4 and 5
>>>   https://drafts.csswg.org/css-flexbox/#algo-main-container
>>> At this point we size the flex container (including honoring
>>> max-height, of course). And then *afterwards* we break lines:
>>>   https://drafts.csswg.org/css-flexbox/#algo-line-break
>>
>> OK, that's reasonable, and explains how to do the layout.
>>
>> However that still leaves the preferred width computation which only
>> says "Place all flex items into lines of infinite length.", which is
>> quite the opposite of respecting any height or max-height properties.
>> Shouldn't it be affected by that?
>
> No, "width: max-content;" never cares about the "max-width" property
> on the element.  (For the purpose of figuring out what "max-content"
> resolves to - later, in actual layout, it of course matters.)

No, that's not what I meant. This is still about how max-height should
affect the max-content width. See the testcase I gave originally -- if
a column flexbox has a max-height set, shouldn't the intrinsic width
computation break the boxes into multiple lines and give a width that
can fit the multiple flex rows (visually, the columns)?

-Christian