Re: [css-flexbox] available space and max-height

On Tue, Dec 1, 2015 at 7:41 PM, fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net> wrote:
> On 10/09/2015 12:21 PM, Christian Biesinger wrote:
>>
>> Hi there!
>>
>> I was looking at this testcase:
>> http://codepen.io/anon/pen/pJLwYp
>>
>> Originally I was focused on the intrinsic width computation, but then
>> I actually realized that I can't find a spot in the flexbox spec that
>> says we should break lines at the max-height. It talks about the
>> available space, but its definition does not take max-height into
>> account.
>>
>> Line breaking at max-height is interoperably implemented though. Did I
>> just miss the part of the spec where it defines that? :)
>

> This is handled in step 4 and 5
>   https://drafts.csswg.org/css-flexbox/#algo-main-container
> At this point we size the flex container (including honoring
> max-height, of course). And then *afterwards* we break lines:
>   https://drafts.csswg.org/css-flexbox/#algo-line-break

OK, that's reasonable, and explains how to do the layout.

However that still leaves the preferred width computation which only
says "Place all flex items into lines of infinite length.", which is
quite the opposite of respecting any height or max-height properties.
Shouldn't it be affected by that?

-Christian