Re: [selectors] feedback

On Thu, Aug 27, 2015 at 9:41 AM, fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net> wrote:
> Right, this text doesn't appear in the section on :empty.

I don't understand how that makes sense.

> Perhaps you're misunderstanding what I meant. DOM provides the entire
> DOM tree for pattern-matching--of course. But for its .query methods
> the DOM spec compiles the list of elements that are potential output
> and filters them by whether or not they match. Selectors only defines
> what it means for an element to match.

How does that solve anything for pseudo-elements, which are not
elements and cannot be matched?

> This way Selectors doesn't need to decide what elements are valid
> output, or define how to traverse the DOM tree to find said potential
> output elements, or define out the output of .querySelector is sorted
> or otherwise represented. These are particulars of the .query methods,
> not particulars of how selectors work, so they belong in DOM, not in
> Selectors.

Yeah maybe. It's somewhat annoying that we're revisiting this setup a
good year after we decided on something. Feel free to provide PRs
here: https://github.com/whatwg/dom.

--
https://annevankesteren.nl/