Re: [selectors-4] :blank pseudo-class

> On Aug 20, 2015, at 11:41 AM, Brian Kardell <bkardell@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Aug 20, 2015 at 2:21 PM, Henrik Andersson <henke@henke37.cjb.net> wrote:
>> Brian Kardell skrev:
>>> how about :null or :void?
>> Given the association of the terms, it would be a poor fit. In theory
>> :null could be used in some setup to find null pointers in the DOM. And
>> void is used for return values, not stating content.
>>
>> And then there is the actual definitions of the words in the English
>> language. Null is something that no longer is. And void is something
>> that is no longer applicable.
>>
>> In short, bad idea.
>
> Yeah, I disagree on all counts, but I am just one opinion and simply
> offering an alternative.  The reason "null" and "void" are used so
> much in programming is that they have common meaning for things with
> no value - "" is called "null string", zero is null or nill, etc...
> What you're looking for with values in a pseudo here are fields which
> contain no value... Presumably this is after a trim or whatever
> validation you have.  But again, that's merely something to chew on,
> it doesn't surprise me if mileage and opinions vary and my feelings
> aren't hurt if we have something else.

Chewing. I googled "null and void" and got this:

Canceled, invalid, as in The lease is now null and void. This phrase is actually redundant, since null means “void,” that is, “ineffective.” It was first recorded in 1669. The American Heritage® Idioms Dictionary.
Null and void | Define Null and void at Dictionary.com