Re: [selectors] feedback

> On Tue, Apr 15, 2014 at 11:27 PM, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, Apr 15, 2014 at 3:53 AM, Anne van Kesteren <annevk@annevk.nl> wrote:
>>>
>>> In syntax you are not calling it in API hook. If e.g. syntax uses this
>>> algorithm (and I hope it can) it seems rather weird to name it an API
>>> hook.
>>
>> True, I call them "Parser Entry Points" or "Parser Algorithms" in
>> Syntax.  Are you just objecting to the naming of the section?
>
> Not objecting, but yes.

I think this section ("parse a selector") is obnoxious, and, as Simon Sapin
points out, not really necessary. The whole structure of it reminds me of
the C++/Java approach to "Hello, World": a lot of formulaic incantation
when all you want to say is "print 'Hello, World';".

We define what an invalid selector is already:
   http://dev.w3.org/csswg/selectors/#invalid
All DOM needs to say is
   "If the selector is _invalid_, throw a SyntaxError. Otherwise [...]."
This is much more direct and easier to read imho, and not in any way
more ambiguous.

~fantasai