Re: [css-transitions] Animation of paint servers

I do not know of any user agent that has implemented transitions from one
SVG gradient to another (except by animating the SVG gradient <stop>
elements themselves), so changing the draft text should not be problematic.

(I don't have an Apple device to test with at the moment; if someone wants
to give it a go to confirm please let us know.)

The SMIL behavior was to animate changes in a url(#paint) reference in
discrete switches.  Many implementations are currently buggy even doing
that, and I'm not sure whether any do it for CSS animations/transitions yet
(i.e., whether they animate it in the sense that the change is affected by
a transition delay or step function, or applies at all when specified in
keyframes).

As much as it sounds nice to be able to transition between SVG gradients, I
agree with the arguments relating to the lack of specifiable intermediate
values.  The only way you could define an intermediate value would be if
you mapped both initial and final SVG gradients to CSS gradient functions
and transitioned the functions.  That is currently not practical because
there are features of SVG gradients which cannot yet be represented in CSS
gradient functions.  It also just sounds like an implementation headache:
what if the DOM or styles for the SVG gradient elements were also changing?

I like the idea of applying cross-fade transitions to SVG paint server
content.  That should address most use cases with acceptably smooth
results.  It may be worth discussing how the scaling as well as fading
transition would apply to an SVG pattern (i.e., is it treated as a single
image or a tiled image? if tiled, how do you incorporate pattern
transformations?).

Transitioning direct color values in an SVG paint property (fill/stroke) is
well supported for SMIL and CSS in every user agent that supports those
animation types for SVG.

~ABR