Re: Border Curvature Proposal

On Fri, Aug 7, 2015 at 10:03 AM, Brad Kemper <brad.kemper@gmail.com> wrote:

> > On Aug 5, 2015, at 3:45 PM, Robert O'Callahan <robert@ocallahan.org>
> wrote:
> >
> > CSS border rendering is already insanely complex. Can we please not
> extend it any further and instead progress Custom Painting to allow users
> to do whatever effects they want?
>
> Funny; I think a lot of us authors consider existing border capabilities
> to be pretty rudimentary, regardless of implementor complexities. That's
> not a criticism, just the lay of the land right now. Besides lack of corner
> shape control beyond rounding, there is no control over dashes and dots
> (shape/length/spacing), no multiple-border support, no border-offset, no
> images-along-a-border-path, and only 3x3 border images (no 5x5, 5x3, etc.).

Individually those might be OK features. Combine them all, along with the
existing features, and that's when things get nightmarish.

Right now you can have a border corner that's elliptical, with different
inner and outer widths on each side, with dots on one side and dashes on
another, with different colors on each side (one or both of which may be
transparent, making pixels receiving contributions from both sides very
interesting). Getting that to render nicely is already extremely
challenging. You want to be able to have all that plus a different shape,
control the shape, spacing and length of dashes and dots, and do all that
with multiple (nested I assume) borders. For interop the results of that
mess should be clearly defined in the spec (even the current borders
aren't), and implemented correctly and efficiently in all browsers.

Draft a spec for all that, make a reference implementation that covers
*all* cases, and then let's talk.

Rob
toD
rdsme,aoreseoouoto