Re: [css3-ui] incorrect prose in text-overflow?

On Fri, Apr 10, 2015 at 8:33 AM, Florian Rivoal <florian@rivoal.net> wrote:
> I found a small problem in the text of this section:
>
> http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css-ui/#ellipsis-scrolling
>

>   As some content is scrolled into view, it is likely that
>   other content may scroll out of view on the other side.
>   If that content's block container element is the same
>   that's doing the scrolling, and the computed value of
>   text-overflow has two values, with the first a non-clip
>   value, then implementations must render an ellipsis/string
>   in place of the clipped content[...]
>
> This is correct for ltr text, but not for rtl text, as when using
> two values, the first is defined to be the line-left edge, not
> the start edge.

Took me a little bit to work through all the reasoning for this, but I
believe I have verified your analysis.

> Proposed mini-patch:
>
>   that's doing the scrolling, and the computed value of
> - text-overflow has two values, with the first a non-clip
> + text-overflow has two values, with
> the value of the start edge a non-clip value

That wording feels awkward to me and confusing since as you said it
depends on ltr/rtl. Trying this instead to hint that there's a level
of indirection involved:

> the value applying to the start edge being a non-clip value,

Thanks,

Tantek