Re: [css-ui] text-overflow and text-orientation: upright

> On 20 Apr 2015, at 08:13, John Daggett <jdaggett@mozilla.com> wrote:
>

> Xidorn Quan wrote:
>
> > The spec says that U+2026 should be used for rendering ellipsis,
> > however, it seems to be a bit unfortunate when it is used with vertical
> > text and text-orientation is upright.
> >
> > It causes something like

> > …
> >
> > instead of

> > ⋮
> >
> > Not sure what's the best way to resolve this issue. Probably the spec
> > could state that, U+FE19 should be used in that specific case.
>
> The solution is to use a font that supports vertical text:
>
>   p { font-family: Hiragino Kaku Gothic ProN, Meiryo; }
>
> This will do want you want for this case because the 'vert' feature is
> always applied to upright vertical textruns. Making this work for fonts
> lacking support for vertical layout (vertical metrics, vertical
> substitutions) is out of scope for user agents I think.

Such fonts are in common use in CJK typography, but western authors
are unlikely to be familiar with them. Vertical typesetting is certainly more
rare in western text, but it does happen occasionally, and when it does
authors would likely want the effect Xidorn mentioned.

HTML has both &hellip; and &vellip;.

Wouldn't it be appropriate for the UA to chose the ellipsis character based
on the writing mode, and use &hellip; (U+2026) in horizontal text,
and &vellip; (U+22EE) or U+FE19?

If we don't want to mandate this outright, the spec already has a provision
to allow UAs to pick a different character than &hellip; as appropriate
based on language or script. We could simply allow UAs to also consider
the writing mode.

This would mean changing this sentence:

  Implementations may substitute a more language/script-appropriate
  ellipsis character, or three dots "..." if the ellipsis character
  is unavailable

into this:

  Implementations may substitute a more language, script, or writing-mode
  appropriate ellipsis character, or three dots "..." if the ellipsis character
  is unavailable.

 - Florian