Re: [css-align] Definition of align-self inconsistent with css-flexbox for abspos

On 04/09/2015 11:41 AM, Christian Biesinger wrote:
> Separately, the prose in css-align never does specify what the
> *computed* value is for auto. It says what auto is equivalent to, but
> is not clear on whether that affects the computed value or not.

Chiming in on this side point: the flexbox spec's "align-self"
definition is clear on this, FWIW -- it explicitly says:
  # Computed value:
  #   auto computes to parent’s align-items value;
  #   otherwise as specified
http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css-flexbox/#propdef-align-self

However, I absolutely agree that the css-align spec's text on
"align-self:auto" needs clarification. It never directly says what
"align-self:auto" computes to, and it sort of suggests the wrong thing
-- read literally, it suggests that "align-self:auto" computes to the
parent's "justify-items" value. The "align-self" section says:
  # The auto and stretch keywords are
  # as defined in [...] the justify-self property.
http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css-align/#align-self-property

...which links to the "justify-self" section that says the following
about "auto":
  # The auto keyword computes to [...]
  # the computed value of justify-items on the parent.
http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css-align/#valdef-justify-self-auto

So, right now, the implication is (wrongly) that "align-self:auto"
computes to the parent's "justify-items" value.

~Daniel