Re: [css books] endnotes, table notes, footnotes, and sidenotes in HTML/CSS

> On Apr 7, 2015, at 2:20 PM, Håkon Wium Lie <howcome@opera.com> wrote:
>
> Brad Kemper wrote:
>
>>> However, the margin-inside and margin-outside properties are not part
>>> of a spec. Perhaps they should, along with padding-inside,
>>> padding-outside, and the corresponding border properties?
>>
>> I think it would be better to have :left and :right (or :verso and
>> :retro) pseudo-classes, that reflect what page an element is on.
>> Then you could conditionally change backgrounds or whatever you
>> want, without needing a lot of new properties.
>
> Like this?:
>
>  aside:left { background: blue }
>  aside:right { background: red }
>
> I agree, this would be more powerful, without igniting combinatorial
> explosions.

Woops, just replied to a different message about this, but yes, that's the idea.

For backgrounds you might want a gradient that goes a different direction based on which side you float it to. For width, that might be different on an inside page gutter than on an outside page margin.