Re: [css3-box] Float start/end issue

Hi,

Tab Askins Jr wrote:
> On Wed, May 28, 2014 at 2:17 AM, Salar Khalilzadeh <salar2k@gmail.com <mailto:salar2k@gmail.com?Subject=Re%3A%20%5Bcss3-box%5D%20Float%20start%2Fend%20issue&In-Reply-To=%3CCAAWBYDCRMd-E0j1bnbVJbcPxk%2BUar66DbVzBqJHp%3DFhP1MOqqQ%40mail.gmail.com%3E&References=%3CCAAWBYDCRMd-E0j1bnbVJbcPxk%2BUar66DbVzBqJHp%3DFhP1MOqqQ%40mail.gmail.com%3E>> wrote:
> > Back in 2009 a few values added to the float property in 'CSS basic box
> > model' module  but they haven't finalized yet.
> >
> > These new values for float property would be very helpful for RTL languages.
> > Please give the module more attention.
> >
> > I wanted to hint on the Issue 61 which says "Adding ‘start’ and ‘end’ was
> > decided at 2009-12-02 telcon. Precise definitions not yet decided: does it
> > depend on ‘direction’ of the element itself or its parent? "
> > http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css-box/#the-float-property
> >
> > I strongly believe that start/end should depend on the element itself. They
> > should follow the behavior of the float which applies on the element, so the
> > new start/end values will depend on the direction of the element.
> > Otherwise I as a developer have to wrap my element with another element and
> > change the direction there!! what a waste.
>
> On the other hand, that means you can't set "float: start;" on a bunch
> of elements in some container and expect them to float to the same
> side.
>
> We've addressed this in the Alignment module by having start/end base
> themselves off the container's direction, and having separate
> self-start/self-end values that base themselves on the item's
> direction.

Is it something there is a good agreement about?

I also agree that "start" and "end" should be relative to the
containining box's direction (so, I don't agree with the initial mail),
for consistency with other specs, especially [css-position-3], where we
alway refer to the containing box.

I have no opinion about self-start/self-end, but from the initial
message in this thread it looks like there is at least some request.

What's needed to move forward about this?

[css-position-3] http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css-position-3

Thanks,
--
Julien Wajsberg