Re: [css-images] Updating Images 3

On 09/22/2014 03:24 PM, Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:
> Per our f2f discussion, I'm getting Images 3 ready for a new
> publication.  Old Images 3 source was still in the old processor
> syntax, and it would be way too much trouble to update it manually, so
> instead I just copied over the Images 4 source and removed/rewrote as
> necessary to bring its feature set back down to what Images 3 defined.

If you rewrote the text compared to L3, then I'm concerned you introduced
a lot of errors. I'd rather leave the spec text alone.

If it's too much work for you to convert L3 to bikeshed, I'll do it
for you. I don't want to work off of L4 text, because that means doing
a complete set of reviews on that text, which I haven't done yet.

> I've made a few changes relative to the previous Images 3 feature set,
> to reflect implementations.  Namely, I added 'image-rendering', and
> the cross-fade() and image-set() functions.  I also removed the image
> fallback from image(), per previous discussions (retaining the color
> fallback).

Tab, Images 3 is in CR. You can't just add new features without WG
resolutions. Besides which, I would like to not add new things to L3,
particularly things like image-set() that aren't that simple.

If you want to publish L4 with new stuff, then let's go do that. We
don't need to disturb L3. It should only get features removed, not
added.

~fantasai