Re: [css-ruby] collapse ruby-position values

On Mon, Sep 22, 2014 at 2:38 PM, fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>
wrote:

> On 09/17/2014 11:00 AM, Glenn Adams wrote:
>
>> I'm not sure if this has been proposed before, but there seems no need
>> for four values {over, under, left, right} when two
>> would suffice: {before, after}, where 'before' means prior to (before)
>> the first edge in the line progression direction and
>> 'after' means subsequent to (after) the second edge in the line
>> progression direction:
>>
>> *WM          'before'     'after'*
>> lrtb        over         under
>> rltb        over         under
>> tbrl        right        left
>> tblr        left         right
>>

> 'over right' and 'under right' are both common combinations,
> so {before, after} would not suffice.

What are the semantics of 'over right'? From the current ED I see:
over <http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css-ruby-1/#valdef-ruby-position-over>
<http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css-ruby-1/#valdef-ruby-position-over>The ruby
text appears over <http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css-writing-modes-3/#over> the
base in horizontal text.
right <http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css-ruby-1/#valdef-ruby-position-right>
<http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css-ruby-1/#valdef-ruby-position-right>The ruby
text appears on the right side of the base in vertical text.
Since text can't be both horizontal and vertical WM at the same time, then
what is the meaning of specifying both?