Re: [cssom-view] value of scrollLeft in RTL situations is completely busted across browsers

On Mon, 05 May 2014 09:40:08 +0200, Robert O'Callahan
<robert@ocallahan.org> wrote:

> I think it's pretty obvious which behavior I think we should standardize
> on
> here, but I'll spell it out :-). Adopting B everywhere has the following
> advantages:
> -- Matches window.pageXOffset in all browsers
> -- Matches event.pageX in all browsers. A and C do not match any of the
> event attributes.
> -- Matches 2/3 browsers and spec for window.scrollX
> -- For element.scrollLeft, no worse on browser compat than A or C.
> -- Avoids making direction logical, which while appealing in some ways
> occurs nowhere else in CSS
>
> Whichever behavior we choose breaks some properties that hold in LTR
> pages.
> B preserves the "direction increases to the right" property and the "set
> position to 0 to get the initial, logical start position" property.
>
> If we choose A or C for any attributes then we will have inconsistency
> with
> window.pageXOffset and event.pageX (at least) and at least two browsers
> will have to change behavior for each attribute.

Done.

https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/csswg/rev/dea25bf8160f

This was discussed at the CSSWG f2f in May where we agreed to specify B
and ask for review. [1] So, please review. :-)

[1] http://krijnhoetmer.nl/irc-logs/css/20140520#l-849

--
Simon Pieters
Opera Software