Re: [css-align][css-grid] IE's interpretation of stretch?

On Tue, Aug 26, 2014 at 7:25 AM, François REMY
<francois.remy.dev@outlook.com> wrote:
> Dear CSS Align / Grid editors,

Those are the same people!

> I’m currently wondering whether I’m currently facing a bug or a feature in IE’s behavior towards items stretched in undersized grid rows.
>
> It seems that, when an element’s intrinsic height is higher than the stretchable area, IE ignores the stretch instruction. Is that part of any spec, or is this a bug?
>
> [1] According to the latest CSS Align working draft, the only exception to stretch seems to be “min-height >= available size”, but IE keeps its behavior even if I set min-height to 0, so this doesn’t explain what I’m seeing.
> [2] According to the latest CSS Align editor draft, stretching only applies when the items are smaller than the available size, so that would explain the visible behavior,

Yes, 'stretch' doesn't do anything if the item is larger than the
area, which is why IE renders the way it does.  (Button 1 is just
visually overflowing its grid area; this happens to make it the same
size as Button 2, due to how you set things up.)

> but the fallback behavior for cases where there is no auto-sized element clearly doesn’t make sense for a content-distribution value;

I don't understand what you mean by this.

> it also doesn’t seem to mention whether max-width/max-height have to be honored and, if they do, what should be done in the case they prevent the space to be distributed among the items.

Yes, our handling of clamping is not great right now.  Obviously
things need to get clamped in the middle there, so that if a max-*
prevents it from reaching its full stretched size, it should still
stretch as much as possible, and then start-align.  I'll add an issue
on it for now.