Re: [css3-writing-modes] eliminate 'sideways' and 'sideways-left' for 'text-orientation'

On 09/15/2014 08:07 PM, John Daggett wrote:

> fantasai wrote:
>
>> The 'sideways' keyword is intended for horizontal writing systems
>> like English and Arabic, because it does the right thing for them.
>>   And 'sideways' in 'vertical-lr' is not an obscure case. It's used
>> frequently for captions, table headings, etc. in these languages.
>>
>> I said the 'sideways-left' keyword itself is not particularly
>> needed except in, yes, some fairly obscure cases. But the behavior
>> of 'sideways-left' needs to be implemented for 'sideways' to work
>> correctly in 'vertical-lr'.
>
> I continue to think that the behavior of 'sideways' is unnecessary
> here and the fact that you have three property values here will
> cause author confusion. But the table cell case you and GĂ©rard have
> pointed out makes sense so I'll relent here.

'sideways' is automatic so that horizontal-script authors don't
have to think about which direction they rotated the block.
You just set
   'text-orientation: sideways'
on the root element and forget about it.

~fantasai