Re: [css-animations] Proposal for animation triggers, timebases and additive behavior

On Wed, Sep 10, 2014 at 11:49 AM, Dean Jackson <dino@apple.com> wrote:

> I'd really like to avoid script if possible, not because I have anything
> against script, but because it's refreshingly awesome to completely
> declaratively author a page that responds to scroll - both triggering an
> animation and all the fancy parallax effects.

Right.

I have some ideas for fixing the circularity problem with declarative
syntax. However, I don't think any of them are good ideas. The basic issue
is that animation-timebase:scroll with element-relative positions makes CSS
styling dependent on element geometry. That is a fundamental breach of
existing CSS invariants :-(.

Meanwhile, some more bikesheddy comments:

Since animation-trigger:scroll only makes sense with
animation-timebase:scroll, why not fold animation-trigger into the
animation-timebase value? So you write
"animation-timebase:scroll(<startpos> <endpos>?)"? (Note, need to specify
what happens when startpos > endpos...)

For animation-behavior:add, in what order should the animations be applied?

Rob
owohooo
oioso
owohooo