[css-text] Fallback alignment for unexpandable text

From: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2014 01:32:40 -0400
To: "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
CC: CJK discussion <public-i18n-cjk@w3.org>, 'WWW International' <www-international@w3.org>
The CSSWG agreed to remove some special-cased behavior for the last line
for 'text-justify: distribute' now that we have a 'text-align: justify-all'
syntax. We have another special behavior, though, which is its behavior
when the text is unexpandable: it is centered.

In all cases justification falls back to whatever was specified for
'text-align-last'. However, if that value is also 'justify', then we need
to come up with something else. Currently that is center-alignment for
'distribute' and start-alignment for everything else.

Possibilities for fallback alignment:
   A. Justification always falls back to center.
   B. Justification always falls back to start-alignment.
   C. Justification fallback depends on 'text-justify' as currently.

I don't think B is a good idea because it's in fact quite common in
CJK to justify the last (often only) line of text and want it to fall
back to centering. I also prefer to fully decouple 'text-justify'
from fallback alignment, so my preference is A.

Thoughts from others?

Note: We can extend text-align to take an explicit fallback alignment
in the future in any case. This would just be the default.

~fantasai