Re: Is calc really at-risk

On 10/16/14, Karen Menezes <karen.menezes@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey...

Hi Karen -

> Wanted to inquire about calc being mentioned as an at-risk feature here:
> http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-values/
>
> It has wide support in all modern browsers and is often invaluable for
> layouts that mix fixed and fluid percentages (where border-box sizing
> doesn't help)... wrote an article here for the same:
> http://blog.karenmenezes.com/2013/dec/10/why-calc-risk/

I have a hunch that other methodologies might also be more efficient
for the browser, but I don't actually know if that is true. One not
mentioned on your blog is to use absolute positioning:

1) Use abspos for the flexible-width right column:
#leftcol {
  width: 300px;
}

#rightcol {
  position: absolute;
  right: 0;
  left: 300px;
}

2) Use border-box (as mentioned on your site):
http://garretts.github.io/jsclass/animation/split-pane.html

Those examples were created to demonstrate that you don't need a 200k
MVC HTML5, CSS3 library to make such things that might seem daunting
to a beginner.
--
Garrett
@xkit