Re: Order of graphical operations and transforms

On Oct 16, 2014, at 12:20 PM, Emil Björklund <bjorklund.emil@gmail.com> wrote:

> In reading the Compositing and Blending spec, it mentions the order of graphical operations for filters, clipping, masking and opacity.
>
> In my head, transforms take place in the same space as these steps, i.e. when the style calculation is done and the element is moved into some sort of temp bitmap and then composited onto the page.
>
> I cant seem to find any spec documentation as to where transforms fit into this chain. Is there any?

All the operations you listed above happen in the local coordinate space of the element the effects get applied to. CSS Transforms modifies this coordinate space of the element (not the element itself). A pixel still is a pixel in the local coordinate space of the element. It is the outside perception that changes. Therefore, a CSS Transform is outside of the order. Implementations probably will still track transformations to avoid pixelation on filter, masking or blending operations.

Greetings,
Dirk