Re: [css-color] Exposing "brand"/"accent" color

On Tue, Oct 14, 2014 at 5:12 PM, Bogdan Brinza <bbrinza@microsoft.com> wrote:
> From: Tab Atkins Jr. [mailto:jackalmage@gmail.com]
>> What are the requests you're getting for exposing theme color to websites?
>> What are they trying to do?  What are these colors used for in the OS, and
>> what do people want to use them for in websites?
>>
>> It sounds like you're just asking for a new system color; is this right?
>
> My apologies for replying so late.

No problem; I've got tons of months-old emails to reply to. ^_^

> Yes, essentially, however such color does not have a fixed value. For example see this page - http://www.windowsphone.com/en-US/How-to/wp7/start/change-accent-color-or-background-theme that lists available colors and impact on operating system presentation.

There's no requirement that color names have a fixed value, so that's okay.

> One of the current consumers within Microsoft is our JavaScript/CSS framework WinJS - https://github.com/winjs/winjs, they want to consume the user selected accent color and we want to expose this in CSS. Many other teams within the company that have web content have expressed interest in similar scenarios.
>
> Now the reason for me bringing this is up is that concept of user selectable "special" color is not unique to Windows. Mac OS X has highlight color that serves similar purpose and perhaps there are more examples.

Do you have any examples of actual use?  I'm just looking for some
inspiration on how its actually used within current apps (that have
access to the colors via Windows or Mac APIs), so we can make sure
that exposing it as a color is what's best.