Re: [cssom-view] scroll-behavior CSS property 'auto' value

On Sat, 11 Oct 2014 08:49:02 +0200, Robert O'Callahan
<robert@ocallahan.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 9, 2014 at 1:19 AM, Simon Pieters <simonp@opera.com> wrote:
>
> If we allow instant scrolling without snap points, what should happen on
>> touch device when the user flicks?
>

> Let me ask you this: what should happen on a touch device when the user
> flicks, scroll-behavior is 'instant' and there are snap-points almost
> everywhere (e.g. every 1px)?

It should snap to every snap point but otherwise have the same velocity as
normal. At least this is what happens in OpenOffice on Mac.

> Whatever your answer is, It seems logical that the same thing should
> happen
> when there are no snap-points. I.e. the "no snappoints" behavior should
> be
> the behavior in the limit as the density of snappoints approaches
> infinity.

OK. So then "instant" would be the same as "smooth" when there are no snap
points. I guess that works.

But you still want to allow the author to ask for instant scrolling
without snap points for keyboard users and mouse users with a scroll wheel?

--
Simon Pieters
Opera Software