Re: [css-text][css-flexbox] Let's just alias "nowrap" with "no-wrap"

On Fri, 10 Oct 2014 04:05:18 +0200, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
wrote:

> One of the people I follow recently posted the following on Twitter:
> <https://twitter.com/SlexAxton/status/519953582183809024>
>
>> white-space: nowrap;
>> whitespace: no-wrap;
>>
>> Don't pretend like you know. And when you look it up, don't pretend
>> like it makes any sense.
>
> Anyone have objections to us just aliasing the value as "no-wrap"?
> That way, in a few years, people can just do the logical thing and use
> the value they expect, rather than having to deal with this wart
> forever.

I am in favor of alleviating the confusion, assuming there is no compat
issue caused by lots of people typing it wrong without noticing, and then
depending on the result they got. I wouldn't be too surprised if it
happened here, given how easy it is to get wrong, but maybe we're actually
ok. Anyone has data either way?

If we do go ahead, I suggest that we simply introduce the other value,
defined to have the same behavior, rather than try to define some more
sophisticated aliasing mechanism that would try to make one into the
computed value of the other, or some other attempt at trying to hide that
there are two values. Yes, having to values to do the same thing is a bit
of a wart, but I don't think there is any benefit to be gained by trying
to be smart here.

  - Florian