Re: [css-grid] Varying-width Grids

On Tue, Oct 7, 2014 at 12:24 PM, François REMY
<francois.remy.dev@outlook.com> wrote:
> Tab Atkins wrote:
>> That said, I'm pretty sure we also need to address this kind of thing
>> for Grid.  I'm pretty sure that when we add row-gap/column-gap,
>> we'll need some automatic behavior matching the align-content
>> keywords, like you suggest here.
>>
>> What's the problem with the first item that you mention?
>>> "Size grid columns to >= multiples of X"

Ah, I misinterpreted "first item" to mean "first grid item", not
"first item in the list from earlier in this email".

In that case, I'm still not sure what it really means, or how it
impacts on this use-case.

> My interpretation of this first issue is that you can't have the equivalent of "columns: 500px" in CSS Grid.

Sure you can.  Just use grid-definition-columns (and
grid-auto-columns, if necessary).

> Optimally, I think we want something like "columns: minmax(500px, 1fr)" or something along the lines I proposed in my previous mail.

You can also do this today.