Re: beforescroll and using DOM events for extensibility

From: Olli Pettay <olli@pettay.fi>
Date: Fri, 03 Oct 2014 18:38:19 +0300
To: Rick Byers <rbyers@chromium.org>
CC: "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>, Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc>, Anne van Kesteren <annevk@annevk.nl>, Timothy Dresser <tdresser@chromium.org>, "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>, Robert O'Callahan <robert@ocallahan.org>
On 10/03/2014 06:26 PM, Rick Byers wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 3, 2014 at 10:00 AM, Olli Pettay <olli@pettay.fi <mailto:olli@pettay.fi>> wrote:

>     So something like element.requestScroll(x, y); could be exposed to the web pages and it would behave as if user had initiated the scroll
>     (at least in most cases. Maybe we'll need something like trusted scroll which is coming from user).
>

> We already have that - Element.scrollBy. What we don't have is a way to customize how scroll inputs (deltas) are distributed to the outputs (which
> element(s) will respond).

Which is why I think we should have another method which propagates scrolling request to the nearest scrollable element or so.

-Olli