Re: Interop: Floaters and BFC within inline-blocks

Greg Whitworth <gwhit@microsoft.com> writes:

> Starting off simple: http://jsfiddle.net/s2pwbjcr/1/ (IE/FF/Chrome
> agree) Next we add a non-floated div with a 2px border, this is not a
> BFC so nothing changes: http://jsfiddle.net/b2rd8ynx/1/ (IE/FF/Chrome
> agree) Now we add an additional floater before our 2px bordered div
> and this is where FF/Chrome seem to promote that 2px div to a BFC and
> IE does not: http://jsfiddle.net/xzt063uv/2/

Why do you think it becomes a BFC? The border goes all the way to the
left, but the first float is painted on top of it, FWIW.

FF/Chrome fail to make the shrink-to-fit container wide enough, that's
all, as far as I can tell. That is, if any behavior can be considered
faulty with a spec so vague... :-P

> I would love to get feedback from the WG, especially team members on
> Blink/Gecko regarding this issue. We continue to receive "bugs" and
> outreach from authors regarding this interop issue.

This is what happens when you keep doing it right, but the others are
bigger than you. :(

I've worked on Blink for the past couple of years. Previously, I worked
on Presto. I rewrote the shrink-to-fit code there 5 years ago. My
findings back then was that IE was the best, by far.

--
---- Morten Stenshorne, developer, Opera Software ASA ----