Re: [css-line-grid][css-books] one property or more?

On 10/2/14, 5:40 PM, "Koji Ishii" <kojiishi@gluesoft.co.jp> wrote:

>> If the grid is based on the body text line height, then having a heading
>> snap to a multiple is usually way too much line height for a multi-line
>> heading. There are some finer-grained grids at a fraction of body text
>> line height where snapping headings will work for Latin text.
>>
>> My expectation is that headings in Latin text will usually be
>>box-snapped
>> to the grid. That allows an appropriate line height for single- and
>> multiple-line headings while giving some good options for how they
>> interact with the grid. You can see screenshots for two of these options
>> in the last two images in this blog post [1].
>>
>> [1]
>>
>>http://blogs.adobe.com/webplatform/2014/02/05/baseline-grids-for-the-web/

>Not sure which picture in the blog post you think is common

Either of the last two are valid ways to set headings in Latin. What you
need to avoid is line snapping everything [4].

>having blocks align to the grid looks natural to me, and matches to what
>East Asians do[2]. If that’s the case, wouldn’t it be more appropriate to
>say there are more elements to snap than not to?

The more or less elements argument was applied to the use of line snapping
- both drafts use a separate property for box/block snapping. So adding
more box-snap elements isn’t that relevant to the question of whether we
should have one or two properties for establishing a grid and turning on
line snapping.

>I can’t really speak of Latin typography better than you, but please keep
>in mind that, at least in East Asia, authors would want almost every
>element to snap, except headings and pictures as blocks to snap (see Fig.
>4.20 for when headings are of multiple lines[3].)
>
>[2] http://www.w3.org/TR/jlreq/#processing_of_gyoudori

>[3] http://www.w3.org/TR/jlreq/#fig3_1_17-en

Right - Fig 4.20 shows a heading that box snaps and deliberately does
*not* line snap. That’s quite similar to the examples I give in my blog
post, though the box snap setting used will likely be different for
different scripts.

Thanks,

Alan

[4]