Re: [css-line-grid][css-books] one property or more?

On 10/2/14, 11:00 AM, "Koji Ishii" <kojiishi@gluesoft.co.jp> wrote:

>On Oct 2, 2014, at 9:19 PM, Alan Stearns <stearns@adobe.com> wrote:
>
>> Yes, that’s correct. Perhaps you’d add a class to the elements that
>>should
>> snap their lines (this would work for opt-out as well). I’m still in
>>favor
>> of opt-in, given Dave’s evaluation that there would be fewer elements
>> using the grid than not. Do you want to argue for the opt-out scheme
>>with
>> a single property?
>
>Are you sure that, in Latin text, there would be fewer elements using the
>grid than not? If p snaps but h[1-6] does not, then the spaces after the
>headings will be random depending on its height because the next p will
>snap.
>
>At least in East Asia, I think we’d want almost every element to snap.
>Headers need to snap to multiple of grids, but they still snap.

If the grid is based on the body text line height, then having a heading
snap to a multiple is usually way too much line height for a multi-line
heading. There are some finer-grained grids at a fraction of body text
line height where snapping headings will work for Latin text.

My expectation is that headings in Latin text will usually be box-snapped
to the grid. That allows an appropriate line height for single- and
multiple-line headings while giving some good options for how they
interact with the grid. You can see screenshots for two of these options
in the last two images in this blog post [1].

Thanks,

Alan

[1]
http://blogs.adobe.com/webplatform/2014/02/05/baseline-grids-for-the-web/