Re: [css3-page] different @page size requirements under different orientations

From: Faruk Ateş <faruk@presentate.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2014 17:44:10 +0000
To: Florian Rivoal <florian@rivoal.net>
Cc: www-style@w3.org

> If I understood what you’re doing correctly, I believe that if we changed
> to what is suggested in that issue instead of the current text, your
> scenario would work out fine.

Yes, we would very much prefer Bert Bos' phrasing to be used here, so that
our scenario becomes possible. To elaborate a little bit more about what
we're trying to do, precisely:

1) the user is allowed to specify whether she wants to print the page
(containing a presentation) in either Portrait or Landscape mode;
2) if she chose Portrait, the page size is somewhat irrelevant to us (crazy
uncommon sizes notwithstanding), because we specify a layout of slides with
the narrative that fits to a generic A4/US Letter type page;
3) if she chose Landscape, the page size is deliberately adjusted on our
end to precisely match the 8:5 (W:H) aspect ratio of our slides, so that
the pages that are created are a perfect fit for the slides. This means
little in actual printed version where page size may not play a role anyway
since you likely only have the one size available, but it matters a LOT in
the "Print to PDF" experience where each page size becomes the actual
specified dimensions of each page in the output PDF.

I hope that helps explain things in very concrete and clear terms.

Thanks,
Faruk