Re: [css-gcpm] String-set issues

On Nov 25, 2014, at 11:50 PM, Liam R E Quin <liam@w3.org> wrote:

> On Tue, 25 Nov 2014 03:19:54 +0100
> Håkon Wium Lie <howcome@opera.com> wrote:
> [...]
>> Or, are you demanding something like:
>>
>>   content: sprintf("%03d", counter(chapter)) "-" ...
>>
>> be be added to CSS?
>
> "demanding" is too strong a word :-) However, it's something people currently do in other systems. Moving to an HTML + CSS workflow, those people would have to decide whether they can live without features they've enjoyed in the past, or whether to demand vendor extensions. In some cases (e.g. civil engineering) there may be government-legislation about the formatting, which can take a long time to change.
>
> So yes, some sort of ability to format numbers is likely to be wanted, probably allowing for leading zeroes, roman i ii iii numerals, and of course counting systems from other scripts.

If the numbers are coming from counters, then I think you have all that available from the counter spec already. You can set up multiple countries on the same elements if you need the numbers in different forms for different places.

You probably still need some for formatting dates and times though.

And I think we are still lacking a good way to select elements within the margin boxes to apply styles.