Re: [selectors] Is ::pseudo-element:empty valid?

> On Nov 24, 2014, at 1:15 PM, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> :empty either *always* matches ::before pseudos, or isn't applicable
> to them at all (depending on some unstated additional requirements in
> the spec that really need to be written down*).  It's not actually
> useful for anything.

::before doesn't exist unless it has content, so your second statement seems more true. Except that an empty string as content does bring it into existence, and that should match :empty, I would think.

But not generally useful. Once you insert an image into it, it is not empty, even if the image hasn't loaded.