Re: [css-gcpm] String-set issues

From: Jirka Kosek <jirka@kosek.cz>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2014 14:41:27 +0100
To: Brad Kemper <brad.kemper@gmail.com>, Liam R E Quin <liam@w3.org>
CC: www-style list <www-style@w3.org>, Dave Cramer <Dave.Cramer@hbgusa.com>
On 23.11.2014 10:11, Brad Kemper wrote:
>> Rather than keywords (content, text, attribute...) maybe a function
>> should use CSS selectors
> I was considering something like that when I was jotting ideas down.
> It has the advantage of not needing an intermediary name to hold the
> value if you did something like 'content: get("h2:first-on-page",
> contents)', but it didn't seem quite as elegant to me as basing this
> on flow concepts. Especially in that I prefer to not keep resorting
> to functional notation if it can be avoided. And it felt wrong to use
> selectors in such a non-standard place instead of finding a way to
> use them in the usual place instead. The selectors might exist in the
> standard position somewhere in the style sheet already, and it it
> seems clunky to have to re-type them into a property value too.

You can't solve more complex scenarious without such feature. There are
existing non-browser implementations that has to support this (and they
even support full XPath instead of being limited by selectors):

     Professional XML and Web consulting and training services
DocBook/DITA customization, custom XSLT/XSL-FO document processing