Re: [css-ui] text-overflow in overflow:visible blocks

From: Florian Rivoal <florian@rivoal.net>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2014 10:19:36 +0100
Cc: www-style@w3.org
To: Mats Palmgren <mats@mozilla.com>

> On 23 Nov 2014, at 00:49, Mats Palmgren <mats@mozilla.com> wrote:
> "This property specifies rendering when inline content overflows its
> line box edge in the inline progression direction of its block container
> element ("the block") that has overflow other than visible."
> http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css-ui/#text-overflow
>
> I think we should take one step further and drop the "that has overflow
> other than visible" requirement.
>
> That was part of Tantek's proposal under "In addition, ..." here:
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2014Feb/0140.html
>
> Was that part considered but rejected? (if so, why?) or is it simply
> an oversight when updating the spec?

I cannot speak for Tantek, but I would guess 2 reasons:
- browsers are fully interoperable in applying it only to overflow other than visible (checked latest firefox, chrome, safari, IE 10 and presto opera)
- having overflowing text overlap with neighbouring things is what normally happens everywhere when overflow is visible

Overlapping text is hardly ever a good thing, but I am not sure this case is one we should try to fix.

 - Florian