Re: [css-gcpm] String-set issues

> On Nov 22, 2014, at 1:37 PM, François REMY <francois.remy.dev@outlook.com> wrote:
>
> ± By default, the content fragment name would be global, as the named flow is
> ± with 'flow-into'. But if one of the following pseudo-classes are used on the
> ± subject of the selector, then the name is locally scoped to just the page the
> ± element is on.
> ±
> ± :nth-of-page(n)    The element is the nth matched element on the page.
> ± :first-of-page       Same as :nth-of-page(n), but where n = 1 (it is the first
> ± matched element on the page).
> ± :last-of-page       The element is the last matched element on the page.
> ± :start-of-page      The element is the first matched element on the page, and
> ± neither it nor its ancestors have any previous siblings that appear on the
> ± page.
>
> This doesn't seem to be a possible solution to me. The effect of a property can't depend on the selector which applied it, as far as I know.

Can you say why not, specifically?

It is not so much about the selector as what is selected. There are many properties that have different effects on replaced content, like images, than on other things, so those are cases where the effect of the property depends on what is selected.

And even :hover causes the properties to act differently than they do if the element is selected normally. If :hover can mean "don't apply the effects if the cursor isn't over element", then I don't know why :first-of-page cannot mean "don't apply to the global name, but apply to a page-local name only".