Re: Flexbox Tab-Index Recommendation

From: Daniel Holbert <dholbert@mozilla.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2014 09:11:54 -0800
To: Bo J Campbell <bcampbell@us.ibm.com>, www-style@w3.org
On 11/18/2014 03:56 PM, Bo J Campbell wrote:
> This leads me to the question: How would the tab index be reordered when
> necessary and would the technique involve putting tab indices on all
> necessary elements?

I'm not sure I understand your question. Are you asking what technique
web developers should use, when they really *do* want to reorder flex
items in a way that affects their tab-key traversal-order?

If that's your question, then the answer from that earlier thread is:
the authors should just (dynamically) reorder the DOM, and don't bother
with the 'order' property. (Alternately: yeah, they can also use
explicitly-specified tab indices as you suggest.)

> There was a quick mention in that thread of a way to switch between the
> options. To follow the visual order when appropriate or follow the
> logical order. I assume no movement has been made on that front?

Right -- yeah, that was a suggested as a future feature. I'm not aware
of any movement there (or what spec that would be developed in -- maybe
in the next level of the flexbox spec.)