Re: [css-pseudo] please make sure pseudo-element "alt" property makes it into next ED

From: Jens O. Meiert <jens@meiert.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2014 15:40:47 +1100
To: James Craig <jcraig@apple.com>
Cc: www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
> I would have agreed with you if this point had been raised in the CSS2
> discussions of the "content" property, but the reality of the Web has
> changed now. Since CSS can be used to generate real content, authors
> *will* use it to insert real content, and assistive technologies need to
> convey that content to the end user.

Yes and no, I think there can well be different positions (authors and
tools could do a lot of things and not all of them mean that we’d need
to jump). I understand where you and respective camp are coming from,
however.

What about solving this problem a bit differently, however, just
repurposing the “content” property? Has the following been discussed?

/* Business as usual: */
foo::before {
  content: 'bar';
}

/* Extended generic use for “content,”
  representing some actually rather meaningless fallback content: */
foo {
  content: 'baz';
}

/* Extended specific use for “content,”
  representing fallback content for an image: */
foo {
  background: url(qux);
  content: 'quux';
}

This just came to my mind, I haven’t had time to think much about it.
I believe it would be compatible, and come with the advantage of being
able to use “content” also in case other tools venture into other
things.

--
Jens O. Meiert
http://meiert.com/en/http://uitest.com/