Re: [css-pseudo] please make sure pseudo-element "alt" property makes it into next ED

> On Nov 16, 2014, at 12:05 AM, Jens O. Meiert <jens@meiert.com> wrote:
>
>> Most screen readers navigate the view hierarchy (pseudo-elements get a view)
>> via a platform accessibility API, rather than directly through the DOM. Because
>> of this, CSS generated text content can be read by screen readers, and
>> navigated by other assistive technologies.
>>
>> Here's the original message from 2012, with the original example.
>> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2012Nov/0233.html
>
> To me this looks like screen readers should rather not venture into
> style sheets like this—or am I simplifying?

To my knowledge, no screen readers "venture into style sheets." The web browser renders text on the screen (from both the DOM and style sheets) and the screen reader merely "reads the screen."

> Then, my opinion, it still seems to me like actual contents shouldn’t
> be in style sheets, and that there’s no problem to solve for CSS.

I would have agreed with you if this point had been raised in the CSS2 discussions of the "content" property, but the reality of the Web has changed now. Since CSS can be used to generate real content, authors *will* use it to insert real content, and assistive technologies need to convey that content to the end user.

James