Re: [css-grid][css-align] Issues with align-content / justify-content properties

On 11/11/2014 08:08 AM, Javier Fernandez wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been playing with the <content-distribution> values in Grid Layout.
> I've got some doubts regarding some implications of considering cells
> instead of grid items to interpret the Box Alignment specification.
>
> However, in the case of 'stretch' there are some issues I haven't solve
> yet. According to the specification, the 'stretch' value is defined as
> follows:
>
> "If the combined size of the items is less than the size of the
> alignment container, any auto-sized items have their size increased
> equally so that the combined size exactly fills the alignment container,
> and then clamped by their max-width/max-height constraints."
>
> 1- There are many ways of defining track sizing [1]. Which one would
> be candidate to be such "auto-sized items" ? I'm assuming they would be
> only 'auto' (which computes to minmax(min-content, max-content). Is that
> assumption correct in your opinion ?

I think that definition was written for properties that apply to
actual items... Where there is one, 'stretch' is applied to the
intermediary construct between the container and the items: the
flex line in Flexbox, and the grid track in Grid Layout. In Flexbox,
this wasn't an issue because lines don't have associated sizing
information.
   http://www.w3.org/TR/css-flexbox-1/#align-content-property

In Grid Layout, I'm not sure what's the most sensible answer. My
first guess is to ignore the sizing information and just stretch
all of the tracks, but we should probably ping some authors and
see what they would expect.

> 2- When the grid is defined, user might choose track sizes to keep
> some proportionality between all of them. Shouldn't the 'stretch' logic
> increase the items size keeping such proportions ?

It doesn't do that for Flexbox, so it shouldn't do that here, either.

> 3- how would you interpret the 'max-width/max-height constraints' in
> the case of track sizing ?
>
> [1] http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css-grid/#track-sizing

See above for #1...

~fantasai