Re: [css-content] Inserting and replacing content with the 'content' property

> On 11 Nov 2014, at 01:22, Bogdan Brinza <bbrinza@microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> Since Dave started a thread on de-outofdatifying CSS Generated Content Module L3 – we’ve found a recent related interoperability issue I wanted to discuss.
>
> We’ve got reports that Google Glass website [1] doesn’t show GLASS logo on IE/Firefox, but does show it on Chrome. Investigation showed that actual image is inserted as content of an <a> element [2].
>
> To my understanding this is spec’d in css-content spec [3], and as far as I can understand this was implemented in WebKit at some point. However it’s not really clear what’s the expected behavior here – pseudo elements address many questions on actual content insertion and are supported more universally.

Presto (old Opera engine) supports ‘content’ on arbitrary elements both for image and textual values. Chrome supports images values both on elements and pseudos, but limits its support for textual values to pseudos.

This snippet will show “hello” in old Opera, but not in Chrome

Given that there is also support for ‘content’ on arbitrary elements in print oriented CSS renderers, it feels like we should preserve the behaviour in the spec, and get it supported more widely.

At the same time, I seem to remember that there were web-compat concerns back at Opera, and this could explain why Chrome does not support textual values on elements.

 - Florian