Re: [css-pseudo] How do you solve a problem like alt?

On Mon, 10 Nov 2014 21:31:14 +0000 Alan Stearns <stearns@adobe.com> wrote:

> A. An alt property. [...]
>
> content: "\25BA";
> alt: "";

So the alt value would be used if \25BA wasn't available?

What if I had longer content that contained several characters, e.g. a Sanskrit name written using the Kharoṣṭhī script? If all but one characters are available I might prefer that over the fallback.

If all I want is a smiling cat face \u1F63C (😼) at the end of a sentence I might rather write,
  content: "Happy as a cat on a rug " alt("\u1F3C", "[purr]") " ....";

If I want to have an alternate image,

  background-image: fallback( url("cat.tiff"), url("cat.jpg"), "\u1F3C", "[cat]")
might be more useful, and might work better with border images too?

Should we take this to the HTML accessibility task force?