Re: [css-images] Gamma errors in image downscaling

From: Lea Verou <lea@verou.me>
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2014 15:39:28 -0500
Cc: Tavmjong Bah <tav.w3c@gmail.com>, www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
To: Rik Cabanier <cabanier@gmail.com>
On Nov 10, 2014, at 14:39, Rik Cabanier <cabanier@gmail.com> wrote:
> I wonder if this is big enough of a issue. The problem is only noticeable if there are sharp transitions in luminosity over a large area which is not that common in most images.
> Some searching on the internet just point to the article that you linked to.

Itís not common in photographs, but is very common in scaling various patterns and other kinds of synthesized images. As I wrote in my original post, even before I saw the link I included, I had come across the issue many times. However, I never posted about it anywhere, as it didn't even cross my mind it could be fixed, I just assumed that's just how image scaling works. Perhaps that might explain why there were so few results in your search.

~Lea