Re: [css-grid][css-align] Issues with align-content / justify-content properties

Hi,

Thanks for the feedback.

On 11/07/2014 02:10 PM, fantasai wrote:
> On 11/05/2014 04:47 PM, Javier Fernandez wrote:
>>
>> I'm working on the implementation of the align-content and
>> justify-content properties for grid and it seems ISSUE6 is still
>> pending; I've already made some assumptions for the ongoing
>> implementation but it'd be great to solve it as soon as possible.
>>
> We hadn't strongly considered the interpretation of the
> <content-distribution>
> values for Grid; I think the original thought was to keep the entire grid
> as a single unit, so they'd all fall back to their fallback alignment.

Yes, as you pointed out,  it's what the spec describes for Grid. I'll
implement it that way, while the discussion about content-distribution
values for Grid is ongoing.

> However, we did get some feedback on people wanting to stretch out
> the grid by spacing apart the tracks:
>   http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2014Oct/0108.html
> So, ideally, we would do that for the <content-distribution> values.
> (It would have some interesting interactions with the sizing of spanning
> grid items, though, and we haven't quite worked out the implications.)

I've got an interesting implementation of the <content-distribution>
values on Grids if these are homogeneous, without span and with a single
item per grid cell. Even that there are many issues for more complex
cases, it'd be a matter of defining which cases are valid and use the
fallback content-position value for the rest.

>> Shouldn't these particular cases be described in the Grid spec ?
>
> Yes.

I think we could start by considering as valid some cases like NxN
homogeneous grids, using the fallback mode otherwise. We could think of
other cases if more people see this behavior interesting for CSS Grid
Layout. Attached some examples of the cases I've implemented so far.

BR.

--
javi