Re: [css-flexbox] Renaming flex-basis:auto for less confusion

From: Shane Hudson <Shane@shanehudson.net>
Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2014 18:06:40 +0000
To: www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
> Since we're arguing on usability, would be good to get some author
feedback on
> the issue. Where do we find authors who understand Flexbox enough to grok
this
> issue? :)
>
> ~fantasai

As an author with a reasonable understanding of Flexbox, if I do understand
the problem correctly then I think the option of calling the flex-basis
values auto and content make the most sense. To begin with, the naming
conventions are easier to understand. If auto is a size-lookup then it
makes sense because there are other cases where auto copies the value. A
value of main-axis takes longer to understand than content, as it is quite
obvious that if it says content then it will be sized based on the content.

I think that although it still has the inequality of flex-basis: auto ≠
width: auto, we as authors are more used to auto giving different results
than we are with the results of various flexbox values. So making flexbox
as logical to use as possible is definitely a big advantage.

That may not answer your questions well but hopefully it gives a good
viewpoint from the more non-technical side (and better than just a +1!).

Shane