Re: [css-pseudo] please make sure pseudo-element "alt" property makes it into next ED

From: Alan Stearns <stearns@adobe.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2014 18:01:32 +0000
To: "daniel.glazman@disruptive-innovations.com" <daniel.glazman@disruptive-innovations.com>, www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
On 11/5/14, 8:59 AM, "Daniel Glazman"

>I have a lot of concerns about this 'alt' property for pseudo-elements
>::before and ::after.
>
>1. nothing prevents from using it with a strictly textual 'content'
>    property. Are we absolutely sure we want to allow that???

Yes, as I understand it. That’s the point of the alt:""; example.

>2. if we want to make generated content accessible, then we need to
>    make all of it accessible correctly; since the content property
>    can specify MULTIPLE IMAGES, we need to make each of them have its
>    own alt text. The current proposal does not allow that.

Do you have an example of multiple *fallback* images where you’d want the
alt text to differ depending on which image loaded?

>3. am I the only one finding this ugly? What's the next step? A 'role'
>    property? And then all the html attributes we miss on generated
>    content?

I think we should generally look in to providing better support for
pseudo-elements. Their contents should be selectable and searchable. There
should be OM. Alt text seems reasonable. I don’t see this as a slippery
slope so much as backfilling functionality that should have been present
from the start.

Thanks,

Alan