Re: [css3-page] Marginalia support by logical directions (was: Proposing @margin for marginalia)

From: Tobias Herp <tobias.herp@gmx.de>
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2014 15:25:14 +0100
To: "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Cc: "www-style list" <www-style@w3.org>
Hello Tab,

I try a conclusion to the discussion; please contradict if necessary.

It is agreed that it should be possible to style marginalia [1] for :left and :right pages without the need to use proprietary scripting.

> Thus, to allow for marginalia, we have two options:
>
> - Drop the restriction to only allow margin at-rules
> (which would be misunderstood as an invitation to put
> all kinds of stuff here),
> or
> - Define a special area, inside the page margin-boxes.

There is a third possibility: use the logical directions "inner" and "outer".
These are planned.

Implemented consequently, and including logical padding/margin, we could style marginalia like this:

  .marginalia {
     float: outer;
     clear: both;
     margin-outer: -32mm;
     text-align: inner;
     display: block;
     width: 30mm;
  }

... and the @page rule would boil down to:

  @page {
     padding-outer: 32mm;
  }

(IMO, marginalia are *the* use case for "float: outer"; to make the most out of it, the support for logical margin/padding is necessary.)

I consider this a very nice and clean solution and would love to see it in some appropriate document soon ;-)

--
Regards,

Tobias

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marginalia