Re: [css3-page] Proposing @margin for marginalia

On Sun, Nov 2, 2014 at 4:26 PM, Tobias Herp <tobias.herp@gmx.de> wrote:
>>>   @margin {
>>>     width: 32mm;         /* stealing width from the @page box */
>>>     padding: 0 2mm;
>>>     font-size: smaller;
>>>   }
>>>
>>>   @page :left {
>>>     @margin {
>>>       text-align: right;  /* possible default for :left pages */
>>>     }
>>>   }
>>>
>>>   @page :right {
>>>     @margin {
>>>       text-align: left;  /* possible default for :right pages */
>>>     }
>>>   }
>>>
>>>   .marginalia {
>>>     position: margin;
>>>   }
>
>> The Page Templates module <http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css-page-template/>
>> covers this already, in a more extensible way.
>
> I'm not sure this is true.  Nothing I see there looks like marginals;
> it's rather about the order of text boxes, like in a layout program, right?
>
>> But this should do everything you need, I think.
>
> Could you sketch how you'd expect a margin column to be realized based
> on this module?
>
> The margin column is very sparsely populated; the flow of text is in the
> main column (a page with marginals will usually have only one regular
> column), and contain mainly symbols, e.g. for "note", "caution",
> "further information", or buzzwords to make them easier to find in the
> main text.

If you're trying to define an area on the left or right (with the side
determined by the page) that you can put things in, Page Templates
lets you define areas, a la Grid Layout, that can vary from page to
page, and chain across pages.

If that's not what you need, then it's irrelevant, but it sounded like
it might be what you were asking for. ^_^

>> we've discussed this in the past, and it'll go into the 'float'
>> property when we add 'start' and 'end' keywords as well.
>
> What would these values mean?
> Would I need "float: start" or "float: end" to put something to the
> margin column (or the left/right padding which clears the space for it)?
>
> Or would I need "start" on :left pages, and "end" on :right pages?
> (In this case, these new values for "float" wouldn't help at all.)
> Can you provide a link?

Sorry, I was unclear, and didn't actually give the values that we plan
to add. ^_^

We're planning to add "inner" and "outer" values to 'float', which, in
a page context, indicate the direction of the spine or the edge.  (In
a non-page context, they'll act like "start" and "end", respectively.)