Re: [css3-box] Float start/end issue

On Wed, May 28, 2014 at 2:17 AM, Salar Khalilzadeh <salar2k@gmail.com> wrote:
> Back in 2009 a few values added to the float property in 'CSS basic box
> model' module  but they haven't finalized yet.
>
> These new values for float property would be very helpful for RTL languages.
> Please give the module more attention.
>
> I wanted to hint on the Issue 61 which says "Adding ‘start’ and ‘end’ was
> decided at 2009-12-02 telcon. Precise definitions not yet decided: does it
> depend on ‘direction’ of the element itself or its parent? "
> http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css-box/#the-float-property
>
> I strongly believe that start/end should depend on the element itself. They
> should follow the behavior of the float which applies on the element, so the
> new start/end values will depend on the direction of the element.
> Otherwise I as a developer have to wrap my element with another element and
> change the direction there!! what a waste.

On the other hand, that means you can't set "float: start;" on a bunch
of elements in some container and expect them to float to the same
side.

We've addressed this in the Alignment module by having start/end base
themselves off the container's direction, and having separate
self-start/self-end values that base themselves on the item's
direction.